4.0170 Editors Return from Globetrotting (1/35)

Wed, 13 Jun 90 17:41:58 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0170. Wednesday, 13 Jun 1990.

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 16:40:57 EDT
From: Elaine Brennan & Allen Renear <EDITORS@BROWNVM>
Subject: Conference at Siegen and Jet-Lagged Editors

For Humanists who may have missed our note of June 1, the editors were
not simply pulling a bunk and disappearing off the face of the earth for
10 days; we were in Siegen, West Germany, attending the 1990 ALLC/ACH
conference. Entitled "The New Medium," the conference brought together
approximately 220 scholars and staff from colleges, universities and
research institutes. It was a pleasure for us to meet in person many
Humanists we'd previously known only as user ids, to re-meet some old
friends, and to be reminded again that electronic personae are often
very different from the virtual reality!

Our thanks go out to the conference organizers, and especially to
Helmut Schanze, Susan Hockey, and Nancy Ide. Dan Brink, you've got
your work cut out for you!

We spent mornings in plenary meetings that discussed many questions of
vital interest to computing humanists, and afternoons in more specialized
sessions. We hope to report more about the conference on Humanist, and
we'd also like to re-open some of the questions that arose at Siegen for
broader discussion here. We're hereby encouraging all conference
participants to share their impressions with other Humanists -- we know
there are several unfinished discussions out there.

Right now, unfortunately, we're both still exhibiting the mind-numbing
effects of jet-lag and are struggling to remember exactly what time
zone we're in! Please bear with us as we re-orient ourselves; you'll
hear from us -- and even more from the other conference attendees --
over the next several days and weeks.

Elaine & Allen