4.0229 Notes and Queries (4/64)

Wed, 27 Jun 90 17:15:10 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0229. Wednesday, 27 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Tuesday, 26 Jun 1990 23:17:20 EDT (23 lines)
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>
Subject: Hardware/Software configs for sight-impaired

(2) Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 16:04:01 PDT (19 lines)
From: Gerald Barnett <OTT@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: ACADEMIC SOFTWARE SUPPORT

(3) Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 19:02:04 BST (11 lines)
From: K.C.Cameron@exeter.ac.uk
Subject: ... Teaching French ... [eds.]

(4) Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 08:32:57 EDT (11 lines)
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>
Subject: Re: 4.0219 Interactive Fiction

Date: Tuesday, 26 Jun 1990 23:17:20 EDT
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>

A close friend of mine just returned from a visit, after many year, to a
boyhood pal, and discovered that his friend's sight is rapidly
deteriorating; he can, in fact, read his computer monitor only with
great difficulty. My friend promised him that he would try to find out
what options exist for configuring a microcomputer so that it can be
operated by a blind person, and I have been asked to query HUMANIST on
the subject. I have a couple of ideas about how to approach this problem
on the Mac, using Smoothtalker, etc., but I would like to produce a list
of recommendations for all kinds of machines, and provide a list of
appropriate software, particularly software which has been developed for
sight-impaired persons. I shall compile all responses into a single
file, leaving headers and signatures intact, and forward it to HUMANIST
to be deposited on the server for others who may be interested in the
subject. Thank you in advance for any information you may send my way.

Pat Conner
West Virginia University
BITNET : U47C2@WVNVM
INTERNET : U47C2@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU