4.0241 The Age of Knowledge (2/38)

Mon, 2 Jul 90 21:01:33 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0241. Monday, 2 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Fri 29 Jun 90 10:14:00 (24 lines)
From: dusknox@skipspc.idbsu.edu (Skip_Knox)
Subject: Knowledge [eds]

(2) Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 20:57 PDT (20 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0236 ... Transient Knowledge ...

Date: Fri 29 Jun 90 10:14:00
From: dusknox@skipspc.idbsu.edu (Skip_Knox)

Michael Hart's comments about the age of knowledge are specious. When I
learned about the Roman Revolution I was 27 (or so). But those were not
"fresh facts" - the knowledge was centuries old. But then, that whole
logic is nonsense. Was the knowledge as old as the text I read, or as
old as the events themselves? If I re-read the text, does the knowledge
become new again, as I gain fresh insights upon re-reading, or is it the
same old knowledge?

And I am frankly astonished to find anyone arguing that the brain gets
full. On the contrary, I've always understood senility to be in part
biological inevitability (sigh) but in part also the result of mental
inactivity. We've all seen active old people who attribute their
vitality to the fact that they try new things. It's when you STOP
trying to fill up your brain that you risk senility.

-= Skip =-

DUSKNOX@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU