4.0269 Indexing Software; Bibliographic Software (3/46)

Wed, 11 Jul 90 16:43:43 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0269. Wednesday, 11 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 18:52 EST (20 lines)
From: John Burt <BURT@BRANDEIS>
Subject: indexing software

(2) Date: 10 Jul 90 20:09:42 (13 lines)
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Re: 4.0262 Qs: Bibliographies

(3) Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 09:21:25 EDT (13 lines)
From: pdk@iris.brown.edu (Paul D. Kahn)
Subject: bibliographic software

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 18:52 EST
From: John Burt <BURT@BRANDEIS>

There is in the public domain software for making indexes from page
proofs. Essentially it is a small database program, and its chief use
is to automate the sorting and collating of entries, each record being
a single, multi-level entry. Naturally you can make analytic entries
as you please, since you are not tied to the words in the text, or even
to markers in the text. I am familiar with a program called INDEXER,
available from the CP/M user's group of the Boston Computer Society. I
expect that there must be MS-DOS versions available, and I would not be
surprised if there were C source code available from the C user's group
in Kansas. I have also just seen on MS-DOS bulletin boards public
domain bibliography software which will do what Pro/Tem's BIBLIOGRAPHY
or Scribe's Bibliography Utility will do--construct a bibliography in
any format from a database of citations, selecting from that database
only the works you cite. I haven't tried it out since I don't have an
MS-DOS machine, but I expect the program will be coming soon to bulletin
boards in your area.