4.0306 Information, Knowledge, and Memory (4/102)

Fri, 20 Jul 90 19:05:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0306. Friday, 20 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 14:07 EST (25 lines)
From: "Peter D. Junger" <JUNGER@CWRU>
Subject: Heinz Pagels on Information versus Knowledge

(2) Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 11:01:59 PDT (29 lines)
From: cbf%faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 4.0280 Query on Sherlock Holmes...

(3) Date: 19 JUL 90 17:47:46 CDT (30 lines)
From: DAVE KERBY <DAVEKERB@USMCP6>
Subject: HOLMES' MEMORY AND MARK TWAIN

(4) Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 12:06:17 BST (18 lines)
From: DEL2@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [4.0286 Mary Dee Harris on Memory (5/139)]

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 14:07 EST
From: "Peter D. Junger" <JUNGER@CWRU>

The following is extracted from a letter to the editor by Heinz R. Pagels
that appeared in The New York Times, on Friday, February 19, 1988, Late
City Final Edition, Section A, Page 35, Column 2, that was entitled: The
Computer as Scapegoat:

Some intellectual prophets have declared the end of the age of
knowledge and the beginning of the age of information. Information
tends to drive out knowledge. Information is just signs and numbers,
while knowledge involves their meaning. What we want is knowledge, but
what we get is information. It is a sign of the times that many people
cannot tell the difference between information and knowledge, not to
mention wisdom, which even knowledge tends to drive out. It is the
better part of wisdom today to make sure that people, not computers,
stand behind decisions.

I believe that this passage (which is downloaded from the NEXIS database)
has some relevance to the recent discussion about filling one's brain
up with information.

Peter D. Junger--CWRU Law School--Cleveland, Ohio