4.0336 Query: Books on Academic Computing (1/32)

Tue, 31 Jul 90 22:55:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0336. Tuesday, 31 Jul 1990.

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 11:04:30 EDT
From: "Diane P. Balestri" <BALESTRI@PUCC>
Subject: The literature of the profession

Questions for a talk that I am planning to give at the EDUCOM90
conference in Atlanta:

What are the seminal books for "professionals" in the field of
information technology for higher education? (if we define
professionals very broadly, to include faculty, researchers, students,
relevant administrators and the whole range of information technology
support staff members)

Put another way, what books or articles have most influenced you
in your own work?

What are the books, articles, journals, electronic conversations, etc.
that you rely on most for current information about this field?

Are there any books, articles, etc. that you might recommend to a
(probably skeptical) provost, dean, or VP, about the significance of
information technology for higher education?

I'd be interested in responses to these questions from as many readers of
HUMANIST as possible. You can address responses to me, but (in the
spirit of Willard's very interesting notice this morning about Ursula
Franklin's book) I'd also like to see whether any debate arises about
the most important texts for this emerging "profession" within higher
education.

Thanks!

Diane Balestri
Assistant Dean of the College