4.0342 Technology (3/104)

Tue, 31 Jul 90 23:27:40 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0342. Tuesday, 31 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 21:56:35 EDT (21 lines)
From: "L. Dale Patterson" <LDPATT01@ULKYVM>
Subject: 4.0332 The Real World of Technology

(2) Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 00:04:01 EDT (47 lines)
From: matsuba@writer
Subject: Technology and ethics

(3) Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 13:06:28 EDT (36 lines)
From: Sheizaf Rafaeli <USERLLHB@UMICHUB.BITNET>
Subject: Franklin, holistic -- prescriptive

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 21:56:35 EDT
From: "L. Dale Patterson" <LDPATT01@ULKYVM>
Subject: 4.0332 The Real World of Technology (1/102)

I was reminded when I read McCarty's note on the realities of technology
of another author who has also dealt with the problem of technology in
society. Jacques Ellul, who was professor of law at Bordeaux and lay
French Reformed theologian worte a lot on this subject. HIs best know
is Technological Society which argues that technology is seductive and
we can quickly begin to produce for the sake of producing, just because
we can make it, not out of any need. The end result is Technique, the
manipulation of materiel, and it is then applied not just to goods, but
to politics, religion, thought, life. He continues this concern through
several other books, including one of his last Humiliation of the Word,
where he voices concerns over the possibility of having faceless
discussions!! His concern is for us to remtain our humanity in the face
of technology.

-- Dale Patterson
University of Louisville
BITNET: ldpatt01 @ ulkyvm