4.0351 More on UTexas Comp. Course (4/88)

Thu, 2 Aug 90 16:10:37 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0344. Thursday, 2 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 16:17 CDT (69 lines)
From: HOKE ROBINSON <ROBINSONH@MEMSTVX1.BITNET>
Subject: The Texas Writing Syllabus

(2) Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 09:15:40 CDT (15 lines)
From: Ed Waldron <UD081917@NDSUVM1>
Subject: Re: 4.0325 More on UTexas Writing Course, Part I

(3) Date: Sam, 28 Jui 90 22:06:21 SET (18 lines)
From: Michel Pierssens <PIERSENS@FRP8V11>
Subject: Texas syllabus

(4) Date: Tue 31 Jul 90 08:27:23 (34 lines)
From: dusknox@skipspc.idbsu.edu (Skip_Knox)

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 16:17 CDT
From: HOKE ROBINSON <ROBINSONH@MEMSTVX1.BITNET>

Leaving aside the NAS, Round-Up, and the wasted preparation for the
cancelled course, Mr. Slatin's cause seems a variant on the "canon"
issue: the Sophomore lit course was to be broadened beyond the
Eurocentric, and the Freshman writing course accordingly restructured
around the theme of difference. Whereupon the usual charges arose: the
"progressives" were trying to bring leftist indoctrination into the
curriculum, the "reactionaries" were trying to preserve the white male
European world-view.

As a flag to those who want to stop reading now, I'm going, regretfully,
to have to side with the reactionaries. The route I take to this
conclusion may be somewhat different from the usual one.

The group whose interests are regularly overlooked in these discussions,
it seems to me, is the students. They will take Freshman Composition and
Sophomore Lit (hopefully) once only, and then on to upper division
courses, graduation and adult life. A "trial-and-error" approach to the
curri culum is grossly unfair to the students in the "error" class: they
may get a reasonable grade and graduate on time, but they write less
well and know literature less well. They have been cheated out of a
part, if perhaps only a small part, of their education. And this is the
case whether they wind up ideologically left, right or something else:
they are less effective, the less well they express themselves.

What in Sophomore Lit is in the students' interest? Relevance, to be
sure; but not just relevance for Fall 1990. For the majority who take
only the required literature, it's relevance for the next fifty years.
That means a responsible text selection has to take into account how
transient a text's relevance may turn out to be. If twenty years ago
you read _The Greening of American_ instead of _Leviathan_, _Zen and the
Art.._ instead of _The Odyssey_ and _MacBird_ instead of _MacBeth_,
you've got a good malpractice case against your Sophomore Lit
instructor. What constitutes a "classic" changes, of course, and
classics had to start sometime. But it is irresponsible to replace a
"classic" with a work whose main recommendation is its contribution to
diversity; first, it may be entirely forgotten in five, much less twenty
years, and second, diversity may be replaced by commonality as a central
theme. Of course the instructor can then update the syllabus; but the
student is stuck with the now outmoded content.

What for Freshman Writing is in the students' intere st? I think, to
learn to write -- clearly, effectively, convincingly, and perhaps even
elegantly. How well they master this is a major factor in their
subsequent success as undergraduates, graduates and in professional
life. To be sure, they need something to write about. But the theme of
sexism and racism seems an extraordinary poor choice. To begin with,
the analysis of Titles VII and IX is quite complex, as the readings
packet shows, with the result that the instructor spends an extraordina
ry amount of time teaching history, sociology, anthropology, philosophy
and law, in an English Department course entitled "Writing." Second,
the issues can be expected to generate a lot of heat not conducive to
learning to write. Third, the very choice of theme will inevitably be
taken by the students, and perhaps by many GA's as well, as signaling a
"pro-Affirmative-Action" tilt to the course, leading to the cynical
(though hopefully inaccurate) belief that arguments _for_ AA are eo ipso
sound a rguments. The choice of theme should not detract from the main
goal of the course: teaching students to write.

I certainly don't mean to discourage re-evaluation of the literature
selections or the writing curriculum. Debates on diversity and
commonality, text selection and writing goals are healthy and to be
encouraged. But knee-jerk reactions by left and right are not healthy
when it's the students who get kicked around.

Hoke Robinson