4.0354 Memory, Information, Gender, and Handedness (3/87)

Fri, 3 Aug 90 18:40:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0354. Friday, 3 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 13:32:41 BST (15 lines)
From: Douglas de Lacey <DEL2@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [4.0339 Sensation v. Information; Handedness and Memory

(2) Date: 2 Aug 90 10:38:00 EDT (31 lines)
From: Mary Dee Harris <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Gender and Handedness

(3) Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 12:30:52 EDT (41 lines)
From: Sheizaf Rafaeli <USERLLHB@UMICHUB.BITNET>
Subject: Left-Right Brain, Information vs. Sensation

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 13:32:41 BST
From: Douglas de Lacey <DEL2@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk>

The idea of memory 'pointers' to a mental FAT is fascinating,
but I'm not sure one can conclude (with Judy Koren) that the name is
'the key' because it is stored in a particular place. What about music?
It's an old quiz game trick to give someone the third line of a tune and
ask for the first--*very* much more difficult than the other way round.
So it looks more as though we *use* names to co-ordinate info about
people in the same way as we use the beginning of a tune. Is this a
learned response? Is it always the name which triggers other info?
If Germaine Warkentin is *told* a name, does that trigger the rest?

Regards, Douglas de Lacey <DEL2@PHX.CAM.AC.UK>