4.0365 Hypersatire (1/21)

Mon, 6 Aug 90 22:17:54 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0365. Monday, 6 Aug 1990.

Date: Sun, 05 Aug 90 18:54 PDT
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0360 Hypersatire (1/286)

For Nissan, and all the rest: Wonderful and charming too are Nissan's
peregrinations through this new world of hyperistics. However, one
thing his generous soul perhaps does not take into account: copyright,
and its ancillary, bibliography for Humanists (read professors), whose
various review committees will fail to find a way to apportion credit
for publication properly, and whose most predictable response will be:
Dont promote! We dont and wont understand it at all. Copyright
ownership in this real world also means publishers and cash. As long as
all this is part of the email, it is delightful; reality is
materialistic. In America, alas, we are counted hair by hair and
usually found wanting in the scales. I could go on into the computer as
the master inflater of bibliographies, and the its use to count
citations of one's name, as a form of credit with Deans, but that way
lies the madness of medical and sociological committees, who count
citations in the "literature," but never read, as bibliographies are
transported in vast chunks from article to article by the secretaries of
those who have secretaries, namely doctors and sociologists, etc. My
drift is clear? Meanwhile back to the fun of Nissan out there in the
deserts of the MIddle East, from Kessler, here in the desert of the LA
Basin....