4.0386 On Technology (2/58)

Tue, 14 Aug 90 13:26:04 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0386. Tuesday, 14 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Sat, 11 Aug 90 12:39:27 EDT (17 lines)
From: TEBRAKE@MAINE (William H. TeBrake)
Subject: The garden path

(2) Date: Fri, 10 Aug 90 10:28:24 MDT (41 lines)
From: Skip Knox <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: Re: 4.0378 Responses: On Technology ...

Date: Sat, 11 Aug 90 12:39:27 EDT
From: TEBRAKE@MAINE (William H. TeBrake)

The exchange between Skip Knox and Willard McCarthy concerning
technology's role in bringing humans to perdition reminds me of
an incident I read about some time ago -- sorry, I can be no more
specific than to say I believe I read it in one of Lewis Mumford's
books. In any case, the managers of a nuclear power plant, somewhere
in England as I recall, had attempted to foresee all possible
problems that might occur, including an automatic alerting of others
should an operator be asleep at the switch by dialing a certain
telephone number. When something did go wrong, the computer dutifully
dialed the number for help; another computer answered and dutifully
informed the first computer that the number had been changed.
Fortunately the operator was only dozing and not sleeping and was able
to take the steps necessary to avert a disaster.