4.0395 Why "computers"; Jim Sledd (2/74)

Mon, 20 Aug 90 18:20:49 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0395. Monday, 20 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: 19 Aug 90 11:27:26 EST (33 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: Why do we call them computers?

(2) Date: Fri, 17 Aug 90 10:29:21 EDT (41 lines)
From: Clarence Brown <CB@PUCC>
Subject: Jim Sledd and the Texas Comp Wars

Date: 19 Aug 90 11:27:26 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>

From: Jim O'Donnell (Penn, Classics)

Why do we (still) call them computers? They were invented to do
high-speed numerical calculations, and the concepts on which the most
fundamental levels of programming (machine language, if they still call
it that) rely are mathematical in origin, but in the last decade at
least the range of uses has penetrated a wide range of very
un-mathematical manipulations of information.

My purpose in asking is twofold: (1) The math/sci./engineering origins
of the machines seem to me to exercise still a baneful influence on the
way we manage our systems. Administrators of computer systems are more
often than not from the math/sci./engr. world and the way systems run
reflect their interests and concerns. E-mail, for example, is still a
ways away from becoming the ideal means for the interchange of
information because the character set is limited (at least on systems I
know) to the original ASCII 128 character set and because the software
for editing on our mainframes is worlds behind what we expect as a
minimum on our little PC's. If we envisioned `computers' not as
math/sci. tools but as instruments of communication, on the other hand,
it would seem natural to put humanists at the helm. (2) On a more
philosophical level, there is nothing about the physical structure of
the universe that requires `computers' to have at their heart a set of
structures designed on mathematical models. As I understand it, this is
part of what the AI people are struggling against. That everything in
the machine is done with 0's and 1's is not something intrinsic to the
nature of silicon and the movement of electricity, it is rather a
mathematician's conceptualization imposed on silicon and electrons.

So: any good substitutes for `computer/computing'? Any good substitutes
already in use in non-English (or preferably: non-European) languages?