4.0416 Various: Handedness; Sledd; Halio (3/69)

Thu, 23 Aug 90 21:13:35 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0416. Thursday, 23 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 23 Aug 1990 8:53:49 GMT+0400 (26 lines)
From: Judy Koren <LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL>
Subject: RE: 4.0407 Handedness and Memory

(2) Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 02:10 PDT (12 lines)
From: Jack Kolb <IKW4GWI@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 4.0395 ... Jim Sledd

(3) Date: Thu, 23 AUG 90 16:56:52 GMT (31 lines)
From: Simon Rae <SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK>
Subject: Halio - again (sorry) UK version.

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 1990 8:53:49 GMT+0400
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL
Subject: RE: 4.0407 Handedness and Memory (3/61)

Re: Stephen Clausing's suggestion of other criteria for left-right
differences: I suspect we're fascinated by the face-name business
because it's intrinsically so bizarre. But I don't think Stephen's
criteria are linked with handedness, even though better criteria than
face-name diffi- culties must exist. My husband, who is right-handed,
can not only repeat a melody and create a harmony from hearing, but also
play the thing on his left-over-from-childhood accordion; I, who am
left-handed, am lucky if I get to sing it almost-right, and you wouldn't
want to hear me try to play it, even though my loving parents sent me to
piano lessons for 7 long years. I am not that good at drawing either.
My sense of direction, on the other hand, is pretty good, whereas I have
a right-handed friend who can't get from point A to point B in a strange
town even with a street map and even when he's done the same trip on
half a dozen previous visits (but sit him in a jeep in the desert and he
will unerringly negotiate among a spiderweb of dirt tracks, all of which
look alike to me. Then when we get back to the road you have to tell
him whether to turn right or left.) In short, I and my husband just
about cancel out Stephen and his wife. I seem to remember that musical
ability is often linked to mathematical (my husband's a physicist and
dreams in equations) and I wouldn't be surprised to find it linked to
handedness but I haven't, personally, seen any sign of a link to date.
Judy Koren.