4.0429 Citation Indexes (2/28)

Mon, 27 Aug 90 17:14:48 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0429. Monday, 27 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Friday, 24 Aug 1990 23:18:05 EDT (13 lines)
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>
Subject: 4.0421 Responses: ... Big Science

(2) Date: Sat, 25 Aug 90 14:52:38 EDT (15 lines)
From: Frank Dane <FDANE@UGA>
Subject: Re: 4.0421 Responses: ... Big Science

Date: Friday, 24 Aug 1990 23:18:05 EDT
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>
Subject: 4.0421 Responses: Memory; Digital Computers; Big Science

The problem with citation indexes in literary study is that they just
aren't old enough (or Arts & Humanities Citation Index isn't). To be
minimally useful, they have to have catalogued all articles and their
citations since 1960 (since 1945 would be a lot better), but the on-line
version I've used doesn't go back earlier, I believe, than about 1975.
I work more efficiently by simply compiling a bibliography from standard
references and extending the bibliography from the citations I deem
significant as I read.
--Pat Conner