4.0444 Trademarks (2/23)

Thu, 30 Aug 90 23:21:00 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0444. Thursday, 30 Aug 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 30 Aug 1990 16:52 IST (13 lines)
From: Marc Bregman <HPUBM@HUJIVM1>
Subject: Re: 4.0435 Trademark Neologisms (3/49)

(2) Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 22:18:09 PDT (10 lines)
From: STEVEC@FHCRCVM
Subject: trademarks - coke

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 1990 16:52 IST
From: Marc Bregman <HPUBM@HUJIVM1>

My Israeli-born wife tells me that in her childhood in Jerusalem any
animated film (what we Americans called a "cartoon") was known as
"a Mickey Mouse" -- yes even if it featured Donald Duck!

Also an interesting "reverse" example of a Generic becoming a Brand
Name is "Jeep" which began -- so we are told by Webster -- as G[eneral]
P[urpose] (Vehicle) in use by the US Army in the Second World War.

Marc Bregman, Hebrew Union College, Jerusalem [HPUBM AT HUJIVM1]