4.0448 Words for Loan Words (1/14)

Thu, 30 Aug 90 23:33:01 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0448. Thursday, 30 Aug 1990.

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 20:55 EST
From: Norman Miller <NMILLER@TRINCC>
Subject: a word query

The mention of hoover (noun and verb), a word of American origin
which isn't immediately understood by most Americans, prompts
this question:

Do we have a name for this sort of thing, for loan words or words
of vaguely foreign inspiration (such as the French vasisdas or
the Glaswegian "Sherman tanks" for Americans) which are not (and
better yet, never have been) understood by speakers of the "host"
language? And if not will one of our Humanists be good enough to
invent one on the fly?