4.0449 Handwriting Technology (3/39)

Tue, 4 Sep 90 18:42:38 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0449. Tuesday, 4 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 12:23:00 GMT+0100 (12 lines)
From: macrakis@ri.osf.fr
Subject: 4.0438 Handwriting Technology

(2) Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 16:33:21 EDT (17 lines)
From: w mccutchan <walter@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: machine reading/hand writing

(3) Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 11:11:34 PDT (10 lines)
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.Edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 4.0438 Handwriting Technology

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 12:23:00 GMT+0100
From: macrakis@ri.osf.fr
Subject: 4.0438 Handwriting Technology (5/229)

Could correspondents please clarify whether they're talking about
handwriting as a way of entering computer-readable text (and thus can
be indexed, sorted, or spell-checked like keyboarded text) or just as
a way of entering uninterpreted scrawls, which can only be filed,
transmitted, and displayed (like MacPaint drawings)? Two quite
different cases.