4.0451 Call for Papers: Computers and Medieval Studies (1/61)

Tue, 4 Sep 90 18:49:34 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0451. Tuesday, 4 Sep 1990.

Date: Monday, 3 Sep 1990 15:51:23 EDT
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>
Subject: Call for Papers

***CALL FOR PAPERS ON COMPUTERS AND MEDIEVAL STUDIES***
**FOR THE 26TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MEDIEVAL STUDIES**
*KALAMAZOO, MICHIGAN -- MAY 9-12 1991*

Computers at Kalamazoo I:
THE TEACHING OF MEDIEVAL LANGUAGES BY COMPUTER

Sponsor: Computers in Teaching Initiative Centre for Literature
and Linguistic Studies, Oxford University

Organizers: Patrick Conner, West Virginia University
and Marilyn Deegan, Oxford University

Computer-Assisted Language Learning is now a well-respected tool in the
teaching of foreign languages, and there are many projects in this area
currently being undertaken by scholars throughout the world. Some of
these projects are focused particularly on medieval languages, and we
would like to invite papers from scholars who are either doing research
or who have been using computers in their teaching.

Computers at Kalamazoo II:
HYPERTEXT AND MEDIEVAL STUDIES

Sponsor: Computers in Teaching Initiative Centre for Literature
and Linguistic Studies, Oxford University

Organizers: Marilyn Deegan,Oxford University
and Patrick Conner, West Virginia University

Hypertext is a concept that has been in existence for some 40 years.
Its value has recently been recognized in scholarly research and
teaching, and there are several implementations of hypertext authoring
packages (Hypercard, Guide etc) which are used by scholars. Because
these packages offer ways of combining different kinds of material,
allowing images, text, and sound to be implemented in complex ways, they
are ideal for presenting the kinds of original source material worked on
by medievalists. For this session we would like to invite discussions
of research projects using hypertext, in particular those which exploit
its multimedia capabilities.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

* Abstracts and proposals should be sent e-mail; be sure to include in
your proposal a list of equipment you will need for your presentation.
We expect to be able to provide both DOS and Macintosh computer systems
with projection capabilities. We will read abstracts of about 500 words,
proposals in the form of sentence outlines, drafts of the presentation,
or completed papers. We are most intested in proposals which promise to
demonstrate original applications of computer technology to Medieval
studies.

In the event that you have a proposal which does not exactly fit the
description of one of the two sessions, we will nevertheless be glad
to review it and include it on the program if there are not sufficient
high-quality submissions in the proposed fields

Please send copies of your proposal to BOTH organizers:

Marilyn Deegan <MARILYN@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Patrick Conner <U47C2@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>