Mon, 10 Sep 90 17:46:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0465. Monday, 10 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Sun, 09 Sep 90 10:44:02 EDT (40 lines)
From: Elliott Parker <3ZLUFUR@CMUVM>
Subject: Software toolbox

(2) Date: Fri, 07 Sep 90 19:59:11 EDT (14 lines)
From: Tzvee Zahavy <MAIC@VM1.SPCS.UMN.EDU>
Subject: Hypertext

Date: Sun, 09 Sep 90 10:44:02 EDT
From: Elliott Parker <3ZLUFUR@CMUVM>

For Jeff Bowyer's request on "tools" in a Humanist's toolbox, my toolkit
is heavy with utilities for handling communications and email in a PC
environment. There is little that is unique to humanities. Most are
shareware or freeware and most are available from Simtel20. The toolbox
includes:

DR and DIRNOTES, freeware from PCMagazine. DR is an excellent
replacement for DOS' DIR; DIRNOTES allows you to add a note to
a file name;
HISTORY, shareware, allows editing and recall of DOS commands;
SHEZ, shareware shell for using, unpacking and viewing files
compressed with ZIP, ARC, etc.;
TEXTOUT/5, shareware, for converting WordPerfect files into
ASCII; much better than the WP conversion;
EXPLOSIV, shareware, a screen "blanker" that clears the screen
after a set time and a fireworks-like display starts; I like
it because it reminds you the monitor is on;
P Super Print Utility, shareware, prints ASCII files with a
simple "p filename" command; can be configured to your needs;
PMCAT, shareware, disk cataloger;
Gofer, commercial program, excellent for text search and
retrieval.

For communications programs, I use Boyan, Procomm Plus, Kermit, and
sometimes Crosstalk.

Some or all of Norton Utilities, Mace Utilities, or PCTools are also
running. Actually, several of the individual programs can be replaced
with one of these, but, for me, it seems a waste of time to install and
learn a continuous series of new programs when the old ones do what I
want.

Elliott Parker BITNET: 3ZLUFUR@CMUVM
Journalism Dept. Internet: eparker@well.sf.ca.us
Central Michigan University Compuserve: 70701,520
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA UUCP: {psuvax1}!cmuvm.bitnet!3zlufur