4.0477 Language Learning (4/107)

Wed, 12 Sep 90 23:47:01 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0477. Wednesday, 12 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 09:28:59 MDT (32 lines)
From: Skip Knox <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: Re: 4.0470 Learning Languages, Part II

(2) Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 12:30:46 EDT (25 lines)
From: Sheizaf Rafaeli <USERLLHB@UMICHUB.BITNET>
Subject: Learning other languages at young age

(3) Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 19:31 CDT (23 lines)
From: Robin Smith <RSMITH@KSUVM>
Subject: Value of learning a second language

(4) Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 09:27:49 PDT (27 lines)
From: STEVEC@FHCRCVM
Subject: learning foreign languages

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 09:28:59 MDT
From: Skip Knox <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>

All the defenses of learning foreign languages seem to come down to the
grounds that the other language teaches one grammar. I heartily agree
that grammar is one of the fundamental pillars of the educated
individual, so here's a completely novel idea:

How about the English professors teach a bit of grammar? What an
innovation! English teachers teach English! The very mountains reel at
the notion. The consequences are staggering.

If English were taught at the university, then English-Secondary Ed
teacher would likely learn a bit of it. Mayhap they were pass some
knowledge of grammar on to their students. If enough of this got round,
it might even be seen as . . . important.

But, I'm being foolish. English departments are havens for writers and
literature buffs. The clear signal sent by all (despite their pious
mouthings) is that grammar is dull, while literature and writing are
interesting. Little wonder the word is passed down the chain. And so
they pass the dreary chore off to the languages -- as English was not a
language.

If we don't lead, then we ought to shut up.

Ellis 'Skip' Knox, Ph.D.
Historian, Data Center Associate
Boise State University DUSKNOX@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU
Boise, Idaho 83725