4.0509 Language Learning (4/119)

Wed, 19 Sep 90 23:48:52 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0509. Wednesday, 19 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 08:47:24 EDT (31 lines)
From: Tom Nimick <0632281@PUCC>
Subject: Language Learning

(2) Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 10:22:52 CDT (25 lines)
From: Norman Hinton <SSUBIT12@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Language Learning; pseudo-loan words

(3) Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 10:18 MDT (20 lines)
From: "Ned J. Davison" <HISPANIA@UTAHCCA.BITNET>
Subject: Language and memory

(4) Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 15:18:00 EST (43 lines)
From: Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu
Subject: Anti-intellectualism and Language learning

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 08:47:24 EDT
From: Tom Nimick <0632281@PUCC>

REPLY TO 09/17/90 21:50 FROM EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET "Elaine Brennan & Allen
Renear": 4.0495 Language Learning (4/213)

There is a clear consensus that students should learn foreign languages
and that the earlier they start the better. However, I have seen little
discussion among this primarily university-level crowd about how such
goals are to be accomplished short of requiring foreign language study
in colleges and universities. I was on the sidelines of a program to
encourage the teaching of Chinese in high schools and can only report
that the immediate prospect for good foreign language training in high
schools is poor at best. I also think that universities have been
remiss in requiring only minimum levels of foreign language (often two
years) because, as a number of people have pointed out, many students
retain little of the foreign language that they learn. I see little
hope short of restructuring the way elementary and secondary school
education is designed and funded, but perhaps some of you have better
ideas.

As for the learning of languages once you have left childhood, my own
experience suggests to me that continuous language learning perhaps
preserves some of those language acquisition skills to a later age. I
studied French from the seventh grade until graduation from college, and
some Latin and Spanish within that time. Upon graduation at 22 I
started my study of Chinese that continues to this day (now 32). At 29
I started Japanese and found that I had only as much difficulty with it
as my younger classmates. I am curious whether others have had
similar experiences.