4.0550 MetaDiscussion: Writing Criticism; US-Centricity (3/72)

Mon, 1 Oct 90 22:11:36 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0550. Monday, 1 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: 28 Sep 90 12:53:40 bst (24 lines)
From: P.Burnhill@edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 4.0535 Musings: Disciplines, Universities & Education

(2) Date: 28 September 90, 09:00:34 SET (18 lines)
From: Marc Eisinger +33 (1) 40 01 51 20 EISINGER at FRIBM11
Subject: Is that a US Forum ?

(3) Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 10:59 PDT (158 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0541 Miscellany: Administratrivia; FRODO

Date: 28 Sep 90 12:53:40 bst
From: P.Burnhill@edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 4.0535 Musings: Disciplines, Universities & Education (6/147)

Why the brickbats? I would deplore a discussion on
a mathematician or statistician bulletin board/list server
that bemoaned the lack of numeracy among professors of
English Literature (say): they way they fiddle with their
loose change on the bus, etc.

Some people, myself included, have to work hard to achieve
plain English. By all means advocate clear expression, and give
us lesser mortals some good examples to follow, but do not be
too harsh on such a large class of people as social scientists,
and *educationists*

I remain your avid reader, neertheless

Peter Burnhill
erstwhile applied social statistician
and Manager, Edinburgh University Data Library

ps having problems putting in apostropes from my Mac onto VT100.
The MacUs problem gives this RrubbishS or RrubbishS. Any suggestions?
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------23----
Date: 28 September 90, 09:00:34 SET
From: Marc Eisinger +33 (1) 40 01 51 20 EISINGER at FRIBM11

> "When I took my SAT at high school ..."
What the hell is an SAT ?
> "FRODO is alive"
What kind of private joke is that ?
> "Foreign Language word processor"
What is Foreign ?

And hundreds of more like that.

Once for all I'd like to remind US users of this list that they
are not alone. If they want to, no problem, we "foreigners" can
"unsuscribe".
Marc