4.0564 Adapting the Machine (2/25)

Wed, 3 Oct 90 23:05:33 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0564. Wednesday, 3 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 21:09:44 EDT (15 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: footmice

(2) Date: Mon, 1 Oct 90 23:45 EDT (10 lines)
From: <HANSCHKA@HARTFORD>
Subject: re: Re: 4.0535 Musings: Disciplines, Universities ...

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 21:09:44 EDT
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

Sorry, couldn't resist. Back in the Good Old Days, when I had my spiffy
Osbourne (with the 80-column option, I might add), and keyboards were
simple, I rigged up a foot-switch to the control-key so that I could
perform all those WordStar operations speedily. Worked very well.

Why couldn't a trackball be used on the floor with one's foot? But to
carry the question further, what kinds of control mechanisms might be
suitable to an interface able to interpret 3-dimensional movement?
What's going on in advanced cyberspace research?

Willard McCarty