4.0569 Macs/Characters; Foot Mice; Computer vs. Computer (4/80)

Fri, 5 Oct 90 14:00:21 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0569. Friday, 5 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 16:58:17 PDT (21 lines)
From: tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: 4.0565 Rs: Telnet & Library Catalogs; Apostrophes

(2) Date: Thu, 04 Oct 90 23:05:32 PDT (33 lines)
From: DONWEBB@CALSTATE (Donald Webb)
Subject: Qurly cuotes

(3) Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 8:51 GMT (7 lines)
From: PETERR@vax.oxford.ac.uk
Subject: RE: 4.0564 Adapting the Machine

(4) Date: Thu, 04 Oct 90 14:09:15 EDT (19 lines)
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 16:58:17 PDT
From: tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: 4.0565 Rs: Telnet & Library Catalogs; Apostrophes (2/36)

Re the question on capital U's on files transferred from a Mac
to a mainframe, I can confirm the source of the problem (I also
believe that curly apostrophes turn up as capital Ts!). In most
word processing programs for the Mac (e.g. Word) you can turn off
curly quotes (under preferences); this will then insure that the
proper codes understandable by the mainframe will be inserted.

Alternatively, in (at least some) communications software (e.g.
RedRyder, I believe) and other programs like Add-Strip you can
set the feature to "uncurl" these problem-causers. Whatever
you choose, it sure beats having to "uncurl" them yourself, as
I can amply testify!!

Best wishes,

tom shannon
ucberkeley