4.0618 Q: E. Thesaurus for Commonsense Knowledge Base (1/27)

Mon, 22 Oct 90 20:42:31 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0618. Monday, 22 Oct 1990.

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 11:08 CDT
From: Bill Jarrold <ai.billj@MCC.COM>
Subject: Electronic Thesaurus

We are interested in obtaining some kind of electronic thesaurus for use
in a common sense knowledge base. It doesn't have to have an extremely
extensive vocabulary. Would you know of any sources?

We would prefer something that runs on Symbolics Lisp Machines. (or at
least something that runs in lisp) . Well okay, if you twist our arms,
maybee something that runs on a Sun or Mac II is okay.

Use:
We are working on a very large knowledge base (CYC) of common sense
assertions. We now have so many concepts that we need a synonym based
way of finding concept names similar to ones that may already be in the
system. This will aid us in relating new concepts to the things CYC
already knows about. A simple and small vocubulary would thus be useful
(but not essential) in reducing the number of concept names we'd have to
deal with.

Any other useful reference sources that people know about would be
helpful.

Thank you for your help

Bill Jarrold
CYC Project