4.0653 Rs: Shipwreck Topos; Parks/Landscape Studies (2/39)

Mon, 29 Oct 90 21:11:14 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0653. Monday, 29 Oct 1990.

(1) Date: 28 Oct 1990 8:34 AM CST (25 lines)
From: <BLAWRKWY@UIAMVS>
Subject: Shipwreck Topos

(2) Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 14:36:25 EST (14 lines)
From: "David R. Chesnutt" <N330004@UNIVSCVM>
Subject: Re: 4.0645 Lists?: Park/Landscape Studies...

Date: 28 Oct 1990 8:34 AM CST
From: <BLAWRKWY@UIAMVS>

Many thanks to W. McCarthy, Alan McKenzie, Lawrence Stepelevich, and
Peter Cosgrove for helpful advice on the shipwreck topos in Dryden's
_Threnodia Augustalis._ I'm sure Cosgrove's suggestion of Lucretius
_De rerum natura_ 2. 1-4 as the proximate source for Dryden is
correct, as he had just published his translation of the beginning of
Lucretius second book in _Sylvae._ It's annoying to realize that I
had the source right under my nose, but then the editors of vol. 3 of
the California editon of Dryden didn't realize that either. I've
little doubt Hume and Hegel were recalling the same passage; Lucretius
is surely the sort of author Hume would have liked. As some
recompense, let me offer one other example from the Restoration
period, the opening stanzas of Lord Rochester's "The Disabled
Debauchee," where the impotent rake is compared to a retired admiral
observing a sea battle from ashore, probably picking up on Lucretius'
"suave etiam belli certamina magna tueri" (2. 6). Many thanks, --Bill
Kupersmith, University of Iowa
[The responses referred to are in recent postings to C18-L@PSUVM,
a list for 18th century studies. -- Allen]