4.0672 Citing Network Sources (1/19)

Wed, 31 Oct 90 23:12:41 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0672. Wednesday, 31 Oct 1990.

Date: 30 Oct 90 22:13:37 EDT
From: SJPORTE@asc.upenn.edu
Subject: re: 4.0660 Citing Network Sources (1/201)

My feelings on references to networked material:

The whole idea on references is to give the reader the opportunity to trace
back sources for more information and for verification. Since most readers of
journals have neither the access nor the knowhow to actually go back through
the archives (I suspect that even some regular Listserv users would have
a bit of difficulty tracking some of these things down), I think it's more
responsible to say something like this in the bibliography:

(Asterisked references are derived from computer network sources. Hard copy
available on request from the author.)

Then, of course, the author would have to keep copies of the references
(presumably in the same folder as the reprints?) and mail them out when
necessary. Solves the problem of access, and adds a little more strength
to the paper and its references, I think.

Jeff Porten, Annenberg School for Communication, UPenn