4.0689 Email Privacy (1/12)

Sat, 3 Nov 90 11:34:06 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0689. Saturday, 3 Nov 1990.

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 09:10:30 MST (15 lines)
From: koontz@alpha.bldr.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)
Subject: Re: 4.0676 Copyright; Email tapping

- On Dale Patterson's comments. If email were private, Oliver North's
email could still have been examined. It could have been subpoenaed.
The real problem for justice would have been him knowing how to erase
the backups. In general, privacy is only a protection against
unwarrented search.

- I don't think that the Epson story is urban folklore. The suit has
been widely reported in the papers, just recently. I don't think Epson
denies the accusation, but maintains that it was acting within its
rights. There was another case recently here in Colorado.