4.0707 Numeric Direction (2/61)

Tue, 13 Nov 90 09:34:24 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0707. Tuesday, 13 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 07 Nov 90 12:03:47 EST (20 lines)
From: Peter Ian Kuniholm <MCG@CORNELLC>
Subject: Re: 4.0699 Bi-Directional Lines

(2) Date: 7 November 1990 18:01:40 CST (41 lines)
From: "Michael Sperberg-McQueen <U35395@UICVM>
Subject: numeric direction

Date: Wed, 07 Nov 90 12:03:47 EST
From: Peter Ian Kuniholm <MCG@CORNELLC>
Subject: Re: 4.0699 Bi-Directional Lines (2/71)

Re. comments on directionality of numbers and how we allegedly took the
system over from the Arabs:

They of course write retrograde to the way we do, but they express their
n umbers "backwards," which is to say that the number 321 in Arabic is
expressed as "one and twenty and three hundred" which makes the sequence
look like 321 to us although they think of it as 1+2+3.

Every time I have to deal with an Arabic inscription, I thank them for
thi s oddity which makes reading their numbers that much easier for me.
But it is mildly disconcerting to see left-to-right numbers in the
middle of a right-to-l eft text (which doesn't bother Egyptian
first-graders one bit).

Peter Ian Kuniholm
Cornell University