4.0729 SGML Greek/English Dictionary Project (1/60)

Tue, 20 Nov 90 22:25:23 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0729. Tuesday, 20 Nov 1990.

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 08:34:18 MST
From: koontz@alpha.bldr.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)
Subject: SGML Software Conversion Project

>From the TEI-L list of possible interest to Humanists.

Forwarded message follows:
-----------------
>From KRAFT@PENNDRLS.BITNET
Subject SGML Software Conversion Project
Sender Text Encoding Initiative public discussion list <TEI-L@UICVM.BITNET>
To "John E. Koontz" <koontz@ALPHA.bldr.nist.gov>
Reply-To Text Encoding Initiative public discussion list
<TEI-L@UICVM.BITNET>
Message-Id <091D6C14637F00685B@ENH.NIST.GOV>

Much of the following will be self explanatory.
Steve Klivansky is an undergraduate engineering
student who is working on this senior project inbetween
CCAT and his home school. He has been encouraged to
contact TEI members who are especially interested in
dictionary coding. "gntdict" refers to the Greek-English
dictionary of the New Testament that was published in
hard copy by the United Bible Societies and is distributed
electronically by CCAT.
Bob Kraft and Alan Humm, U Penn

---------------
Date Wed, 24 Oct 90 19:19:35 EDT
>From klivas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Steven Klivansky)
To kraft@penndrls.upenn.edu
Subject update for lexicon project

Hello!

I am writing this as a short update on the progress of my
dictionary project. As of today, I have a rough lex
specification which is able to convert the gntdict files into
a useful intermediate format with greater than 90% success. I
am currently working on the other 10%, and am considering
doing touch-ups by hand. This is roughly on schedule, and
once a solid intermediate state exists it should not be too
difficult to convert it to TEI format. If my other classes do
not interfere too much I hope to have a table-building package
completed by the end of November. This package should be
capable of transforming a TEI formatted dictionary into
compact usable form, and building lookup tables into the
dictionary.

The immediate goal is to transform the gntdict files to a TEI
format. Once this is accomplished I will write a few pages on
a generalized version of my technique. Hopefully this will be
useful in itself, but it will also contribute toward a final
report which is a partial requirement for CSE 400.

Any questions or comments are welcome, and I will be glad to
meet in person if that is preferred.

Thanks for your time and attention.

-Steve
klivas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu