4.0737 Death and Loss of Name (3/45)

Wed, 21 Nov 90 23:18:18 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0737. Wednesday, 21 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 10:10:14 EST (13 lines)
From: TEBRAKE@MAINE (William H. TeBrake)
Subject: Death and Loss of Name

(2) Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 20:31 EST (10 lines)
From: NMILLER@trincc
Subject: Fooling the angel of death

(3) Date: Sat, 17 Nov 90 01:38 EST (22 lines)
From: <BBOARD@VUVAXCOM>
Subject: death and loss of name..a comment

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 10:10:14 EST
From: TEBRAKE@MAINE (William H. TeBrake)

Here is another twist to the Death and Loss of Name topic: Suzanne
Lebsock, in her excellent _Free Women of Petersburg: Status and Culture
in a Southern Town, 1784-1860_ (New York: Norton, 1984), suggests that
that marriage amounted to "civil death" in this Virginia town until well
into the nineteenth century because the English Common Law tradition
made them subject to their husbands in almost everything.
At the same time they lost their surnames.
Bill TeBrake
History, University of Maine