4.0753 Rs: Hyphenation; Machine Xlation (2/27)

Mon, 26 Nov 90 22:08:36 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0753. Monday, 26 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: Sat, 24 Nov 90 14:50 EST (16 lines)
From: MORGAN TAMPLIN <TAMPLIN@TrentU.CA>
Subject: RE: 4.0743 Qs: ... hyphens ...

(2) Date: Sun, 25 Nov 1990 17:29 PST (11 lines)
From: "Tony Roder" <TONY@SLACVM>
Subject: Re: 4.0743 Qs: ... Xlation

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 90 14:50 EST
From: MORGAN TAMPLIN <TAMPLIN@TrentU.CA>
Subject: RE: 4.0743 Qs: Chinese; Hyphens; Amharic Machine Xlation (3/71)

Regarding the question of a hyphenation dictionary...

Wouldn't it be more efficient to use a program based on a hyphenation
algorithm? Admittedly these are not perfect, but they can be tailored
to the language/style of the corpus to be hyphenated. There is even a
"Time magazine hyphenation algorithm"; UNIX users have troff and there
is also TEX. Even a dictionary may not be a reliable guide because some
hyphenation rules are context-sensitive.

Morgan Tamplin
Trent University
TAMPLIN@TRENTU.CA