4.0759 Rs: Chinese Wordprocessing (2/46)

Tue, 27 Nov 90 13:35:21 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0759. Tuesday, 27 Nov 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 08:22:14 EST (18 lines)
From: Tom Nimick <0632281@PUCC>
Subject: Taboos on Chinese imperial names

(2) Date: Tue, 27 Nov 1990 11:27:15 EST (28 lines)
From: Jan Eveleth <EVELETH@YALEVM>
Subject: Chinese WP on Mac

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 08:22:14 EST
From: Tom Nimick <0632281@PUCC>

Renear": 4.0756 Death and Loss of Name (4/55)

The characters in any Chinese emperor's name were taboo both during his
lifetime and for as long as his house reigned. This was most strictly
observed in the Ch'ing Dynasty (1644-1911), but can be observed much
earlier than that. This gave rise to the custom of using infrequently
used characters in imperial names so as to limit the problems it would
cause. Some authors in imperial China also observed taboos on the
characters in their father's name.

Tom Nimick
Chinese History
Princeton University