4.0800 Rs: WordPerfect (3/59)

Mon, 3 Dec 90 22:03:02 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0800. Monday, 3 Dec 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 08:39 EDT (37 lines)
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>
Subject: WP Citation

(2) Date: Mon, 03 Dec 90 15:04:44 EST (11 lines)
From: Tzvee Zahavy <MAIC@UMINN1>
Subject: Re: 4.0791 Rs: WordPerfect

(3) Date: Mon, 03 Dec 90 16:35:01 EST (11 lines)
From: Jose Igartua <R12270@UQAM>
Subject: WordPerfect files on the network

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 08:39 EDT
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>

A while ago I asked if anyone knew anything about WP Citation, and
though one person (sorry, I don't remember who) checked up to find that
a discount rate remained the same though the mailing arrived a week or
so afterwards, no one seemed to know the program.

I bought it and tried it; I haven't done extensive testing, but
can report on a few points.

WP Citation is basically a WP merge file with the fields predefined. I
had never worked with this sort of file before and found it extremely
confusing; all fields must be entered before an "END of FIELD" marker
and cannot have hard returns. (This necessitated using the "Reveal
codes" at all times simultaneously with the screen for keying in new
entries.) One has to run a macro each time one wishes to enter a new
record, which I also found cumbersome.

There are two modes for producing the bibliography itself, draft and
final. The draft mode takes a reasonable amount of time, but the final
takes forever. For a two page bibliography, it took 20 minutes!
Furthermore, for the style sheet I chose (The Chicago format) it did not
put in quote marks around the titles of articles, etc. (I had
specifically hoped to avoid reading through the whole Chicago manual,
which I do not nor- mally use, but ended up having to do a good bit of
checking.) In short, once one becomes accustomed to the program, perhaps
it might be worthwhile. But meanwhile, one must check up on formatting
items, be content with a wait, and pay close atten- tion to hard returns!

I have not yet tried the sort option; when I do, if anyone is
interested, I'd be happy to report back.

Leslie Morgan
MORGAN@LOYVAX1 (Foreign Langs., Loyola College in Md.)