4.0836 Faculty Seminar Facilitator Sought (1/55)

Sun, 16 Dec 90 16:19:20 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0836. Sunday, 16 Dec 1990.

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 13:53:52 CST
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: Facilitator sought

Drury College is seeking a facilitator for its Faculty Summer
Seminar, to be held sometime during June, 1991.

The Seminar brings together Drury faculty for an intensive, two- week
period of multi-disciplinary study and discussion, centered on topics of
interest marked by both a general, "academic" perspective and by
relevance to teaching in specific disciplines. (Recent topics have
included "Classical Ethics, Carol Gilligan, and Teaching Ethics Across
the Curriculum" [1988] and "The Canon" [1989], a study of how literary
and other sorts of "canons" are formed, their role in culture and
education, etc.)

Our topic this year is "Mind, Brain, and Creativity." The topic is
occasioned by the observation that many of us, across a diversity of
disciplines, have made regarding the impact of the computer: that the
computer not only makes for a _quantitative_ difference in our work --
but also seems to offer an environment marked by _qualitative_
enhancements to our thinking and creativity. We are seeking a
facilitator to guide our study first on a general level regarding
theories of mind, brain, and creativity. We are open to a variety of
approaches -- e.g., a fully philosophical approach reviewing both
classical and contemporary theories (including the mind/brain
discussion); a psychological approach with attention to contemporary
views on creativity; the history of mathematics as an example of creative
thinking and discussion of creativity in selected figures, etc.

The ideal facilitator will also have sufficient computer-based
experience to present a series of examples of how the computer has
served as a new kind of creative environment (e.g., through hypermedia,
computer modeling in mathematics, etc.) -- though other sorts of
examples (e.g. teaching students Japanese bookbinding and how to
incorporate images as part of the writing process) would also be
pertinent. _Critiques_ of the claim that the computer provides a new
sort of creative environment are, of course, also welcome.

Typically, the facilitator will be asked to spend five days on campus to
lead the seminar, as well as work with the Faculty Development Committee
in planning the workshop schedule, reading list, and related activities.
A modest honorarium for the facilitator's services, along with travel
and per diem expenses, will be provided. I should also add that our
facilitators consistently comment on how much _fun_ they have in the
seminar, as it becomes a collaborative learning experience _for them_,
with colleagues who share their considerable expertise and experience in
thinking and talking about ideas which are both of interest
"academically" and pertinent particularly to the art of teaching.

Interested persons should contact me directly, preferably by way of
BITNET. A brief description of your background, and a proposed program
of study should be included. Thanks to one and all.

Charles Ess
Drury College
900 N. Benton Ave.
Springfield, MO 65802