4.0843 Hum: Repetition; E-mail Etiquette (2/60)

Mon, 17 Dec 90 23:00:23 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0843. Monday, 17 Dec 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 10:14:55 EST (33 lines)
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>
Subject: Re: 4.0803 Hum: ... Repetition; Splitting

(2) Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 00:51:38 EST (27 lines)
From: LNGDANAP@VM.UOGUELPH.CA
Subject: Query: e-mail etiquette

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 10:14:55 EST
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>
Subject: Re: 4.0803 Hum: Discussion Invited; Repetition; Splitting

One suggestion I can put forth to help the problem of repetitive postings
that already exist in the archives is a personal archive. That way each
person would archive things that were of interest. There would, of
course, be many instances where the person didn't realize something was
interesting until too late, but that's impossible to avoid. For this
archiving, I propose using the next version of TidBITS for Macintosh
people (when that comes out, and I don't know when it will) since
TidBITS is designed as a general purpose archiver. Archving text files
will be easy then, because it will just import them directly. It
shouldn't be too hard to write a small application to do the same for
PCs and other platforms and I expect that to happen soon after the Mac
version appears. The problem with such a method is that it requires a
microcomputer and a link to whereever HUMANIST comes in. But I suspect
a good number of people meet those requirements.

Another aid would be a program to remotely list and search the HUMANIST
archives. I don't have the expertise to write such a thing, but I'm sure
someone does. That would make accessing the archives as easy or easier
than just asking the question again.

cheers ... Adam

Adam C. Engst (best) ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
(probably) ace%tidbits.uucp@theory.tn.cornell.edu
(maybe) ace@tidbits.uucp
(guaranteed, but not preferred) pv9y@cornella.cit.cornell.edu
Editor of TidBITS, the weekly electronic journal for the Macintosh.