Thu, 10 Jan 91 19:32:35 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0875. Thursday, 10 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 15:35:00 PST (9 lines)
From: Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu
Subject: RE:Moerk's query, Frawley's response

(2) Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 21:48:13 cst (53 lines)
From: "Francis,Bill" <FRANCISB@GRIN1.Bitnet>
Subject: Chinese word processing on a Mac

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 15:35:00 PST
From: Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu

Naomi Sager's E-Mail address is:

SAGER@ACFCLUSTER.NYU.EDU

(2) --------------------------------------------------------------58----
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 21:48:13 cst
From: "Francis,Bill" <FRANCISB@GRIN1.Bitnet>

Mr. Wall at Swarthmore inquires about Chinese word processing on a Mac.
Since I posted a similar question in November and received many kind
replies, I think it appropriate that I attempt to field the question
first, and allow others to add, disagree, refine. Actually, my reply is
long overdue but may save someone a bit of typing.

I asked for software that can display traditional and simplified
characters.

Here is a summary of the replies. I am trying to obtain more detail
on much of this. A hearty "thank you " to all of you that replied.

[disclaimers: I have personal experience with Tian Ma on a PC only. I
do not have any connections with any of these vendors]

Tian Ma - PC version available now, Mac version by fall of 1991 (they
hope) 818-332-4815 - Pacific Rim Software

FEIMA from Wu Corporation - for more information see catalog from
Cheng & Tsui, 617-426-6074. Attested to by a member of the Humanist list.
Known to work on a Mac. Not sure about availability of PC version.
Sent for a catalog today.

Hanzi Assistant - Intellimation - 1-800-3-INTELL. Known to work on a
Mac. Works with CD-ROM. Written at Dartmouth I believe. I have this
on order.

I know that a Chinese operating system for the Mac exists. It used to
be sold through the Mac progammers group APDA (Apple Computer
408-974-4667). APDA now says they no longer carry this software and
that the only way they know to obtain it is to get a subscription to
DEVELOP magazine (I think). The magazine comes with a CD-ROM that
includes the Chinese OS (they say). I have the magazine on order. Byte
Magazine discussed the use of a Script Manager and the Macintosh
International Utilities Package (Byte May 1990, p. 266). Still
checking on this.

NISUS 3.04 is reputed to be well-behaved and flexible in the
treatment of characters. Paragon Software 619-481-1477 or
800-922-2993.

Bill Francis
Director of Computing
Grinnell College