4.0876 Announcements: Journal Issue; Gutenberg E-Texts (1/127)

Thu, 10 Jan 91 19:39:09 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0876. Thursday, 10 Jan 1991.

(1) From: Michel Pierssens <R36254@UQAM.BITNET>
Date: January 8, 1991
Subject: Journal Focus: Thought and Novation

(2) Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 07:23:52 CST
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Current Postings of Etexts for FTP

(1)----------------------------------------------------------------47--
From: Michel Pierssens <R36254@UQAM.BITNET>
Date: January 8, 1991

ANNOUNCING A SPECIAL ISSUE OF SUBSTANCE ON THOUGHT AND NOVATION

What's new? How do we know that something is new? How is "newness"
constituted? These are the questions asked by the guest editor of
SUBSTANCE 62/63, the Philosopher and Historian of Science Judith
Schlanger in a special issue on "Thought and Novation". The answers
offered by historians, sociologists, biologists, philosophers,
literary critics, etc. in this 220p volume are wide-ranging and
provoking. The issue includes:

Rene Girard: Innovation and Repetition; Daniel Lindenberg: France
1940-1990: How to Break with Evil? Saul Friedlander: The End of
Innovation? Contemporary Historical Consciousness and the End of
History; Jacques Schlanger: Ideas are Events; Benny Shannon:
Novelty in Thinking; Henri Atlan: Creativity in Nature and in the
Mind: Novelty in Biology and in the Biologist's Brain; Yehuda
Elkana: Creativity and Democratization in Science; Isabelle
Stengers: The deceptions of Power -- Psychoanalysis and Hypnosis;
S. van der Leeuw: Archaeology, Material Culture and Innovation;
Jean-Pierre Dupuy: Deconstruction and the Liberal Order; Elisheva
Rosen: Innovation and its Reception; Francis Goyet: Rhetoric and
Novation; Ruth Amossy: On Commonplace Knowledge and Innovation;
Michel Pierssens: Novation Astray; Judith Schlanger: The New, the
Different, and the Very Old; Pierre Pachet: Self-portrait of a
Conservative; Alexis Philonenko: Reason and Writing.

Order from:
SubStance
Journal Division
University of Wisconsin Press
114 N. Murray
Madison, WI 53715
USA

One year subscription (3 issues): $19.00 (Individuals); $
(Students); $65.00 (Institutions).
Back issues: $7.00. This special issue: $10.00

For more information:
Michel Pierssens
R36254@UQAM.BITNET or PIERSENS@cc.umontreal.ca
or: Sydney Levy