4.0877 Further Responses on Multiculturalism, etc. (3/87)

Thu, 10 Jan 91 19:43:25 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0877. Thursday, 10 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 9 Jan 1991 20:37:08 EST (30 lines)
From: TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (Tom Rusk Vickery)
Subject: RE: 4.0872 ... Multiculturalism ...

(2) Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 12:00 +0200 (29 lines)
From: RWERMAN@HUJIVMS

(3) Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 17:42:24 EST (28 lines)
From: BRIANW@VM2.YorkU.CA

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 1991 20:37:08 EST
From: TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (Tom Rusk Vickery)

John Slatin's evocation of Emerson's call for a new American nation to
reject its European biases in favor of developing its own culture ignores
one very crucial difference between that time and the present call for
multiculturalism. Emerson was speaking to a people who lived an ocean
apart from Europe. To apply Emerson's call here is to ask not for
multiculturalism but particularism which tears at whatever threads
there be that hold together this nation.

There is a tremendous difference between developing a sense of the
heritage of one's racial and/or ethnic group and learning to respect and
be tolerant of others from different racial and/or ethnic groups, on the
one hand, and being taught a politically correct vision of oneself that
promotes disengagement from a multicultural society, on the other. The
latter one of my colleagues refers to as making Pollacks where there
were none.

I am delighted to see this discussion underway. This may be the
first such forum in which the discussion of multiculturalism produces
more light than heat.

* Tom Rusk Vickery, 265 Huntington Hall *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-2340 *
* 315-443-3450 TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU *