Thu, 10 Jan 91 19:50:30 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0879. Thursday, 10 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 12:51:54 EST (11 lines)
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: 4.0873 Queries: Voltaire ...

(2) Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 15:16 EST (18 lines)
From: Karl Van Ausdal <VANAUSDALK@APPSTATE.BITNET>
Subject: Voltaire query

(3) Date: Thu, 10 Jan 1991 8:47:37 CST (14 lines)
From: 1ECHAD@UTSA86.UTSA.EDU (Helen Aristar-Dry)
Subject: RE: 4.0861 Rs: On Humanist

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 12:51:54 EST
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>

Jamie Hubbard asks for the source of the remark attributed to Voltaire
("History is a pack of lies that we play on the dead."). I cannot help
except to confirm that my old teacher, Ira O. Wade, used to cite the
remark as Voltairean in the following form: "History is a pack of lies
the living play upon the dead." That used to set me musing that politics
was a pack of tricks the living play upon the living. [Sorry, it was
"tricks" and not "lies" that Wade used to say.]