4.0882 Queries: Toshiba Security; Communion Frequency (2/37)

Sun, 13 Jan 91 17:37:13 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0882. Sunday, 13 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Fri,11 Jan 91 14:18:17 GMT (27 lines)
From: N.J.Morgan@vme.glasgow.ac.uk
Subject: Securing vanishing portables

(2) Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 20:15:39 MET (10 lines)
From: A. Davies <davies@let.rug.nl>
Subject: Eucharist Frequency

Date: Fri,11 Jan 91 14:18:17 GMT
From: N.J.Morgan@vme.glasgow.ac.uk

Just before the Christmas holidays, in a typical pre-season rush of
burglaries, our flat was broken into and my very portable Toshiba
removed. My employers have replaced the machine, and the majority of my
files were backed up onto tape, so not too many problems there. But I
do resent the thought of someone else using the machine, and if they are
not too clever, getting access to my work files, letters etc. Perhaps I
shouldn't, as I have far less to lose than the (ex) Wing Commander in
the British Air-Force whose stolen pc contained (it is rumoured) battle
plans for the Gulf. Nonetheless, is there a way to prevent someone
making use of a machine, by password perhaps, that either means it is
totally inoperable, or that the hard-disc must be wiped and the machine
re-configured before it can be used? I'm using Dos 3.3 (although I have
Dos 4 also) so would really like to know of third party software that
might do the trick. My computer experts are trying to find out, but I
thought Humanist might be able to help.

Nicholas Morgan
Sometime research fellow in Scottish History
University of Glasgow
and
Archivist
United Distillers plc