4.0911 E-mail: Conversation/Publication, Boys/Girls, Age? (3/57)

Sun, 20 Jan 91 17:07:09 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0911. Sunday, 20 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 12:51:32 EST (25 lines)
From: Germaine Warkentin <WARKENT@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: E-mail: conversation or publication?

(2) Date: 18 Jan 91 10:49:00 EST (16 lines)
From: "Mary Dee Harris" <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: E-mail boys and girls

(3) Date: Sat, 19 Jan 91 11:33:48 EST (16 lines)
From: Lee Jacobus <JACOBUS@UCONNVM>
Subject: Re: 4.0903 Age and the Use of Computers & E-Mail

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 12:51:32 EST
From: Germaine Warkentin <WARKENT@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

Andrew Gilmartin makes some good points in his response to my assertion
that I think of e-mail as primarily conversational. It might help to
know that my statement emerged from a discussion raging a couple of days
ago on FICINO, the Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies'
electronic seminar for persons interested in that area. There, a rigid
line was being drawn which if followed would put us in the position of
"peer review" of e-mail exchanges! Gilmartin's remarks sketch an
analogy I can agree with: that between the presentation of new
scholarship on e-mail, and the standard conference paper. What I do NOT
agree with is his observation that publication is the imprimatur that a
work is part of the canon. Publication is merely confirmation that the
scholar presenting work to her peers is ready at last to engage in the
full and public debate which should ensue to test that work's merit.
That the debate doesn't always ensue merely testifies to the laziness or
preoccupation of the scholar's audience, and not the imperfection of the
system. My students often say wistfully that being finished the Ph.D.
means that the constant criticism of their work is finally over. "Ha!"
I say, "kiddo, it's just beginning!" Articles and books in opposition,
book reviews, peer review of papers and grant proposals -- all those go
on throughout academic life. And beyond, in some cases! In this
respect as in others, "canonical" is a very chancy concept! Germaine.