Tue, 22 Jan 91 17:51:10 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0924. Tuesday, 22 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 11:17 EST (34 lines)
From: NMILLER@trincc
Subject: Re: 4.0911 ... Age/Computers/Boys&Girls ...

(2) Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 09:03 EST (24 lines)
From: Jim Wilderotter -- Georgetown Center for Text and
Subject: Re: Age and the Use of Computers & E-mail

(3) Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 08:06:44 PLT (17 lines)
From: "Guy L. Pace" <PACE@WSUVM1>
Subject: Students using computers

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 11:17 EST
From: NMILLER@trincc
Subject: Re: 4.0911 E-mail: Conversation/Publication, Boys/Girls, Age?

What about all us "girls"? asks Mary Dee Harris. A good question to
which I, along with most other social scientists, don't have an answer
that hasn't already been widely circulated.

The question was however somewhat off the mark since I was trying to
account in a small way for the surprisingly large number of slippered
pantaloons like myself who are interested in computers. And a minor
correction is in order here: even the affluent "boys" didn't get what
Ms. Harris calls a ham radio set, nor were they put together from kits.
Not then.

But in truth Ms. Harris' note puzzles me. Does she suggest that, despite
childhood differences (dolls, not crystal sets) there is no gender gap
with respect to computers as a hobby? That's hard to believe. I have
two women colleagues who use their computers extensively in their work
and in their teaching. When I need--yet again--to be reminded how to
use that loathsome statistical program called SAS with which we are
saddled, I turn to them. But neither of them has ever even considered
playing dixie cup. Neither has ever written something as simple as a
two-line batch program. They accept mine with the amused condescension
of adults indulging a harmless eccentric. But my daughter-in-law, who
runs rings around all of us at data-torture, doesn't even do that: she
just walks away bored when family talk turns to computing.

For that matter, with so many women in the humanities, has Ms. Harris
had a recent look at the membership list of Humanist?

Norman Miller