4.0949 Gender and Computers (3/94)

Fri, 25 Jan 91 17:23:58 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0941. Friday, 25 Jan 1991.

(1) Date: 23 Jan 91 18:15:21 EST (33 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: 4.0933 Computers and Gender

(2) Date: Thu, 24 Jan 1991 9:13:07 GMT+0300 (24 lines)
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL
Subject: Computers and Gender

Date: 23 Jan 91 18:15:21 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>

Gender: Diane Kovacs response contains a telling and repeated phrase --
telling in that it shows us something about ourselves. She speaks of
e-world as a place she would not have entered `if I hadn't been provided
with an invitation and then an escort': how many male HUMANIST's would
think to phrase matters that way? I'm perfectly happy to be thought of
as a typical fatheaded DWEM-in-training (perhaps FDWEM for Future DWEM?)
and can confirm that by admitting that my own recollections of stages of
initiation into e-world were more characterized by a huffy, blustering,
barging my way in, then grabbing a chair, belching loudly, and looking
around to remark (ironically: some very old HUMANIST's, i.e., people
who've been on line for a year and a half or so, may remember this
moment) that there didn't seem to be a lot of `girls' in e-world yet.
(The irony escaped some readers and I was duly excoriated.)

Now saying it that way may sound like self-parody, but so does most human
discourse. My point is that the language available for a scholar like
Kovacs makes it easy to speak of waiting for an invitation and an
escort: and that fact of culture must in itself make it at least
*slightly* harder for some to make the entrance; while the language that
I can use suggests that it is at least *slightly* easier for somebody
like me to make the entrance. I doubt that e-mail access policies can
be altered to make the world a better place overnight, but we need to
keep in mind the culturally-induced disparities that we live with and
try to make adjustments as we go along.

P.S.: to meet a female who is a true hacker, you might have a look in the
computer centers of our older and harder-headed women's colleges. Such
people exist, but I think that my having encountered them *there* is not
unindicative in itself.