4.0950 Computational Phonologists (1/94)

Fri, 25 Jan 91 17:26:32 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0950. Friday, 25 Jan 1991.

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 09:10 EST
From: "NANCY M. IDE (914) 437 5988" <IDE@VASSAR>
Subject: list of computational phonologists

Forwarded from: Linguist List, Vol. 2, No. 0016.
Originally from: marke@cs.uwa.oz.au

I wish to bring to your attention a directory of people working in the
field of computational phonology. The directory is intended to inform
participants of other people working in this new field. In parallel
with the directory is a small bibliography of works in this newly
burgeoning field. There are also some specific works, such as a paper
and some software.

How to get these
----------------

They are available in one of two ways: email and anonymous ftp. An
index of the computational phonology files available may be found by
sending the message

get comp.phonology/index

to listserv@uniwa.uwa.oz.au.

I am piggybacking it on top of the `linguist' mailing list. Similarly, to
obtain other of the computational phonology files, send messages of the
form
get phonology/<filename>

Ftp access to all files is available, as before, by anonymous ftp to
bison.cs.uwa.oz.au, in the subdirectory

pub/phonology
Use
get index

to obtain a list of the available files (or you can do an ls).

As a further service, any item which you wish to be mailed to all persons
on the computational phonology list, can be so distributed by sending
mail to
phonology@bison.cs.uwa.oz.au

Please let me know if you have any problems using either of the above
facilities.

Keeping it up to date
--------------------

To make the directory and bibliography useful, it is important to keep it
upto date. So if you are doing research into any area of computational
phonology, such as

* computational phonological theories - logical or unification-
based models of phonology. Also strict formalisations of existing
phonological models,
* phonological parsing according to particular models of phonology,
* discovery procedures or learning systems for phonology,
or * implementations of particular phonological models, automatic
derivations,

could you please send me a short research bio to be placed in the
directory. The structure I am using has the following fields: name,
email address, status, affiliation, research interests.

As an example, here is my blurb:

Name: T Mark Ellison
Email: marke@bison.cs.uwa.oz.au
Institution: University of Western Australia
Research: The abstraction of phonological information from purely
structural data. For example determining which phonemes are consonants
and which are vowels from a list of words expressed as strings in those
phonemes. I also have a system for learning harmony processes:
identifying participating, opaque and transparent segments in the
harmony. Work continues in automatically determining syllable
structures, using finite-state automata models of syllable structure. I
am also interested in automatically translating a rule system from a
segmental representation into a feature-underspecified representation.

At the moment, the list contains twenty names.

If you have references for computational phonology books, articles,
papers, tech reports, etc., these would be appreciated for a bibliography.
The bibliography is structured in `refer' format, but bibtex or any other
understandable formats are willing accepted. If possible, an abstract
accompanying the reference would be very useful.

Other files that might be useful to computational phonologists (papers in
postscript, software, etc.) would also be accepted gladly and made
available by email and anonymous ftp.

T Mark Ellison Department of Computer Science Nedlands, WA 6009
marke@bison.cs.uwa.oz.au University of Western Australia Australia