4.0991 Rs: Core Curriculum; Philosophy... (4/84)

Wed, 6 Feb 91 17:09:44 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0991. Wednesday, 6 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 06 Feb 91 10:11:21 GMT (29 lines)
From: Christopher Currie <THRA004@CMS.ULCC.AC.UK>
Subject: Politics of a Core Curriculum

(2) Date: Wed, 06 Feb 91 10:03:17 GMT (11 lines)
From: Christopher Currie <THRA004@CMS.ULCC.AC.UK>
Subject: languages on humanist

(3) Date: Fri, 01 Feb 91 09:23:35 EST (29 lines)
From: A_Brook@CARLETON.CA
Subject: Progress in Philosophy

(4) Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 10:25:10 MDT (15 lines)
From: DUSKNOX@IDBSU
Subject: Re: 4.0920 Responses: On War and Rhetoric

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 91 10:11:21 GMT
From: Christopher Currie <THRA004@CMS.ULCC.AC.UK>

I should have thought that it would be reasonably straightforward to
teach philosophy as a Great Tradition, stressing the dependence of
Medieval Islamic philosophy on the greeks (this isn't contentious, they
admitted it themselves) and the dependence of medieval scholastic
philosophy on both Muslim translators of Greek works and Muslim
philosophers themselves (again uncontentious), and the further
dependence of early modern Western philosophers on the Scholastic
tradition (which many of them were at pains to deny, but unconvincingly
so).

The contentious questions would be a) why in the early M.A. Muslims were
so much more successful than the Latin West in absorbing and expanding
Greek science and philosophy and b) why the opposite was the case from
the later M.A. onwards. Can we simply get away with blaming barbarian
(Germanic, Turkish, Mongol) invasions? Has Islam abandoned certain
aspects of its own tradition which made it more flexible and fruitful in
the past than it is now? If so, can the students themselves suggest any
remedies? (That approach might defuse the dynamite to some extent).

In any case it would surely be more helpful to treat the western and
Islamic traditions as two parallel and interdependent cultures rather
than as fundamentally opposed to one another. I fear that the latter
presentation is the truer nowadays, but it wasn't always so.

Christopher