4.1024 Israeli Diaries: Werman (2/444)

Wed, 13 Feb 91 22:27:04 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1024. Wednesday, 13 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 22:59 +0200 (209 lines)
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>
Subject: Another Attack; We Prepare to Rejoice.

(2) Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 17:50 +0200 (235 lines)
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>
Subject: Aftermaths

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 22:59 +0200
From: <RWERMAN@HUJIVMS>

Saturday Night, 9 February

Another Attack; We Prepare to Rejoice

Last night, Friday, was our Sabbath. After the Kiddush,
the blessing made on drinking wine - we use a sweet red wine that
is probably not familiar to those who have never tried it although
I remember that is was not only cherished by Jews in my days in
the US, but also by alcoholics who called it "Sneaky Pete" even
though it was sold as "Old Rabbinical" or "Magen David" - we had
an uneventful and delicious Sabbath meal, beginning with the soft
bread we call hala, and then a lemon chicken soup on which
delicious dumplings made of chopped turkey breast floated gently.
This was followed by slicing a whole turkey and eight of us ate
the dark and white meat, according to our preferences, with a
casserole of sweet potatoes and pineapple and a large salad.
After tea and cake we said grace. Then my oldest son and his
wife and two children walked home carrying their three gas masks
and an incubator for the 2 1/2 year old with them.

The classical music station of the radio, The Voice of
Music, has been my salvation since the war began, providing both
a point of stability for me in these terrible times and a source
of the familiar and the pleasurable. It is good to know that even
in times of concern and distraction there is pleasure to be had
in old familiar friends and activities. For the first few days
of the attacks on us, this station joined the others as they all
broadcast together, usually with popular or rock music only
between announcements of attacks and war news. What a change
from normal times! From times when four brief news announcements
were the only interruptions in 18 hours of broadcasting a good
selection of classic music. After the first week of attacks, The
Voice of Music was returned to the air in its own right, only
joining the other stations at the time of an attack. This was
understood as a move to normalcy.

With observant Jews who neither turn on electrical
appliances or turn them off on the Sabbath [25 hours from sundown
on Friday to sundown on Saturday] in mind, The Voice of Music was
sacrificed last night. In normal times, such a decision would
have produced a vocal and indignant protest from the anti-
religious here, who appear to be every bit as as religious in
their anti-religiosity as are the religious in their faith. But
these are not normal times and - for the most part - old battles
have been put aside, to be fought again - once the danger is
over. I did think with some compassion for the non-religious who
this night had neither the flavor of the Sabbath meal nor the
consolation of good music. At least I had one, the one that I
had chosen.

The Voice of Music was to remain silent all Friday night
and Saturday until sundown - unless an alarm was to be given.
The station was indeed silent when I went to sleep, rather early
- as I usually do on Friday nights. I slept well until I was
awakened Saturday morning at 02:39 by the siren blasting in my
ears - it was the radio. Only a minute later was the siren
heard outside. We were somewhat confused and a bit slow getting
to the sealed room; we were a bit out of practice after five
consecutive nights without any alarm. [Later we would remember
that this was the third attack on four Friday nights since the
war began.]

Five of us sat in the room, listening to the radio,
readjusting our gas masks, asking each other how he/she was [2
men, 3 women]. Five is a maximum number for comfort in this room
- not that we think of comfort; we have managed with as many as
nine without difficulty.

The reports were quite slow in coming, as if the radio
services in the time of attack had also gotten slightly rusty; it
seems so natural to forget, to want to forget. It took more than
10 minutes before Nahman Shai confirmed that there had been an
attack, that one missile had been fired [the 31st directed at
Israel out of 59 Scuds fired], that it had landed and that all
Israel was confined to the sealed rooms, in their gas masks.
Some five minutes later we were told that it was now safe for all
those not living in Greater Tel Aviv and the Shomron [Samaria] to
remove their masks and leave the sealed rooms. We were included
in this partial all-clear and we removed our masks but remained
in the sealed room to hear more; we felt the need to know more.
Moreover, the radio was still active, broadcasting - for the most
part - rather loud and distracting [definitely not classical]
music. Sleep would not be easy.

Some five minutes later, an all clear notice was given for
the entire country. The weapon was conventional; no poison gas,
no biological warhead. [We do not even allow ourselves to think
about nuclear warheads.] No siren was sounded. There is usually
a siren that announces the introduction of the Sabbath; this has
been cancelled since the beginning of the war to prevent
confusion and panic. There is also a siren - a continuous blast
instead of the rising-falling shriek of the attack warning - that
is meant to indicate the all-clear. Following negative
experiences with this signal and the multitude of false alarms
that result from confusion and wrought nerves, this signal has
not been used either for more than a week. The only siren to be
heard now is the signal for a real attack.

We no longer hear translations of the announcements -
other than one, directing all listeners who need or want
translations to listen to Channel A - the intellectual, and
mostly talk station - which is now set aside during attacks for
translations in the languages commonly heard here.

Sleep does not seem possible until we know more. Nahman
Shai reports that there is damage from the missile, but does not
say where or how much. And are there wounded? Dead, God forbid?
His voice seems to reflect nervousness; I comment on this and
others agree. Only my wife thinks that what we hear as nervousness
may be nothing more than distortion in the quality of the sound
resulting from problems with the portable phone he is clearly
using. He is at the scene of the missile landing; we can hear
noise of activity and people giving orders and calling to one
another. He has never sounded nervous before. It must be pretty
bad.

Forty-five minutes go by before we are told that a
Scud miss has landed in the center of the country, that there
is damage and that there wounded. Twenty five wounded, two
fairly seriously, but without danger to their lives; 300
apartments are damaged, with many rendered homeless.

Eyewitness reports are heard. It appears that two Patriot
anti-missile missiles were fired at the Scud and that there was
an explosion as one or both of them hit the missile. It seems
that fragments of the missile [missiles? How much does the
Patriot contribute to all this?] landed in two adjacent streets
and on the roofs of houses nearby. One young man who witnessed
the Patriots hitting the Scud while bringing his girl friend home
says that the time between the siren and the Patriot hit was less
than one minute. If this is true, what has happened to the five
minute warning we were promised?

If we are right in thinking that the missile has landed in
greater Tel Aviv, which lies along the Mediterranean coast, and
was downed by a Patriot, there a difficult question that has
to be asked. If no Patriot were fired wouldn't this missile have
continued on into the sea, not producing any damage? Are the
Patriots that are protecting us the very cause of the damage we
are suffering?

At least no dead, only two badly wounded and their lives
are not in danger - one we know had a shattered knee and had to
undergo an emergency operation. We are somewhat relieved; it
could have been much worse. Meanwhile the radio becomes silent;
the station has reverted to its pre-attack status.

We go to sleep, more tired than we thought we were.

**********************

This morning we go to synagogue for Sabbath prayers. It
is the Sabbath before the New Moon, which will be on Thursday and
Friday of next week and we recite the special prayer for the New
Moon. We say,

"May it be thy will, Lord our God and God of our fathers, to
grant us this new month for happiness and and blessing. O
grant us long life, a life of peace and well-being, a life of
blessing and sustenance, a life of physical soundness, a life
of piety and dread of sin, a life free from shame and
disgrace, a life of abundance and honor, a life marked by our
love for Tora and our fear of Heaven, a life in which the
wishes of our heart for happiness shall be fulfilled.

Amen, sela."

The New Moon will introduce the Jewish lunar month of
Adar, which is the sixth or twelth month of our calendar. [We
have more than one way to count the months.] Adar is the month
of Purim, the Festival of Lots described in the Book of Esther,
which takes place on the 14th of Adar, 3 weeks from now. It is
the most joyful and abandoned of Jewish holidays - one with-it
Rabbi even suggested that all Jews should turn on to celebrate
the holiday, a suggestion that has not been generally adapted -
and is filled with games, farcical dramas written for the
occasion. Even forbidden card games are allowed and one is
commanded to drink until you can know longer tell good from evil,
a practice that seems to be followed only by the most religious
and the most anti-religious.

Jews are commanded to celebrate all the month of Adar - in
moderation. And we try to, but it is difficult, these days, to
contemplate joy, let alone abandonment. The very religious tell
us, "Nonsense! A holiday is a holiday." They have faith; we
will try to have as much. We will try to forget that there is
much to worry about.

*********************

Today I noticed the first blooming of the narcissuses in
my garden, an early sign of spring. The rain in the streets
dried slowly in the cold sun; the yellow and white blooms appear
delicate and virginal, thin and upright in the cold, daring to
show their faces.

__Bob Werman
rwerman@hujivms
Jerusalem

copyright 1991 USA. All rights reserved.