4.1064 On the War (3/189)

Thu, 21 Feb 91 00:52:51 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1064. Thursday, 21 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 16:46 PST (30 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.1020 On the War

(2) Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 17:29:46 GMT+0300 (33 lines)
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL
Subject: RE: 4.1033 On the War

(3) Date: Sun, 17 Feb 1991 21:17 EST (126 lines)
From: Len Bliss <BLISSLB@APPSTATE.BITNET>
Subject: The War

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 16:46 PST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.1020 On the War (5/282)

I cannot resist suggesting to Judy Koren a rule of thumb that most
watchers of totalitarian culture since 1917 have learned: in a paranoiac
century such as ou rs, in which the West can be best described as a
paranoid personality, especial ly since our Mass society has been
perfused by what amounts to an unintermitted barrage of communications
via the "neuronal" networks of the media, since radi o, in short, and
high speed newspaper printing an distribution before that, th way to
intuit what is happening and what is probably the case is to assume "pro
jection" by the transmitter, the paranoid. What The communist
propagandists tau ght Hitler's, undsoweiter, is to declare what you afe
doing or plan to do as being planned or done by your enemy. If that PLO
Center is accusing Israel of h erding people into pens at Dimona, it
simply means that that is what is being d one in Iraq, and today's news
of the bombing of what the West calls a comman an d communication center
and what Baghdad calls a civilian bunker is a good insta ne. I am
prepared to believe that the telecoms are under the shleter for civili
ans, as the papers say they are indeed under the hotel that most western
newsp eople and diplmats are housed in. What is so odd about that?
Saddam says: you c an kill my birds with your stone, but I get twice as
many benefits as losses fr om it! I would do it too, were I saddam. I
t figures. It is logical. Hide under innocents, the wolf in sheep's
clothing, etc. Aesop taught that trick to us 30 00 years ago. Always
tell the truth in propaganda is another maxim. But..which truth? The
totalists tell the truth, but accuse others of the horrors they are
perpetrating. That is why it works. Something is true about it, you
see? Kessl er