4.1065 Humanist: What belongs on it? (2/33)

Thu, 21 Feb 91 00:55:57 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1065. Thursday, 21 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 13:16:26 EST (23 lines)
From: "Thomas W. Stuart" <C078D6S6@UBVM>
Subject: Re: 4.1034 Humanist: ...

(2) Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 10:33:46 GMT (10 lines)
From: Christopher Currie <THRA004@cms.ulcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 4.1033 On the War

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 13:16:26 EST
From: "Thomas W. Stuart" <C078D6S6@UBVM>
Subject: Re: 4.1034 Humanist: Commerical Posting Policy (4/71)

There may be practical reasons to process the war diaries differently
from other HUMANIST material. I find very disturbing the suggestion
that they are "not at all related to the original intention of
[HUMANIST]". As a subscriber to HUMANIST for more than two years,
I do not agree that its only intention is to discuss the use of
computers in the Humanities. HUMANIST has been a tool for discussion
of issues related to Humanities disciplines since the beginning. And
I find it hard to imagine that the current war is unrelated to
history, philosophy, and linguistics, for example.
While it is true that "life goes on" -- it had best not be going on
in a "business as usual" fashion -- if Humanism and a humanistic
view of the world are alive. It disturbs me greatly that my own
field of librarianship largely is acting *as if* it is business as
usual. In most of the libraries - public and academic - I've entered
lately, there are no clues (much less responsivenesses) to this as a
time of a world at war. It embarrasses me to witness our professional
distance -- a distance true to neither of the principles which I feel
are at the core of librarianship -- intellectual freedom and social
responsibility.