4.1095 Words: Degendering Ombudsman (2/100)

Tue, 26 Feb 91 23:25:48 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1095. Tuesday, 26 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 13:16:02 EST (34 lines)
From: TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (Tom Rusk Vickery)
Subject: RE: 4.1080 Words: Degendering Ombudsman

(2) Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 23:56:36 EST (66 lines)
From: Don Webb <UOG02036@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Ombudsmench?

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 13:16:02 EST
From: TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (Tom Rusk Vickery)
Subject: RE: 4.1080 Words: Degendering Ombudsman (3/52)

Ah, the ironies of adjusting our language to avoid the manufactured
sensibilities of others.

A case in point: A speaker with a hyphenated last name [the last
name of her presumably male father coupled with that of her presumably
male husband] who described herself as a feminist anthropologist--not
a personologist, but an anthropologist. Its enough to make a woperson
dispair!

Perhaps we should follow the lead of Malcolm X who used the X to avoid
wearing the name of the white slave owner of his ancestors. Perhaps we
should use "*" to replace any part of any word or even any word that we
find offensive. Thus we would have "ombuds*" instead of "ombudsman" or
"ombudsperson." This would would greatly simplify the lives of those who
are fe*ists, wo*, *ologists, etc.

You may think pronunciation would be a problem, but I doubt it. My
friend
Hen3ry
never had problems pronouncing his
name. When people asked, he just told them the "3" was silent. :*)

* Tom Rusk Vickery, 265 Huntington Hall *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-2340 *
* 315-443-3450 TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU *